This past week (really 3 weeks ago, didn't get posted...oops!), I have truly discovered how compassionate nurses must be, or rather should be. I was caring for a 73 year old woman who had a developmental disorder (assumed to be downs syndrome) with additional medical problems (the reason of her stay). Upon receiving report from the previous nurse, who stated the patient had hallucinations and did not understand what was going on, I knew this patient would be one that I won't forget. Since report is done at the bedside, I immediately saw my nurse kick into gear as she wiped away drool, helped the patient with her pillows, and made her more comfortable. After the nurse from the previous shift left, my preceptor and I discussed plan of action. She quickly told me that the patient did understand some of what we talk about and then we told the patient we would return later.
Throughout the next 2 days (on my shifts), I helped care for this woman. Because of her medical problem, I found myself in her room often checking up on how she was feeling, if she was in her bed, or if she needed anything. I had the opportunity to practice some nursing interventions that I hadn't done on a real patient before (the one I was most excited about doing was inserting a NG tube--nasogastric tube) . But I think the hardest part of my time taking care of her was when I heard her say, "I'm stupid" and "I'm retarded." To be honest, I really thought she was saying "I'm retired" so then I kept asking her questions about where she worked and what she did. Then my nurse heard the patient saying "I'm retired" and she heard "I'm retarded." Who knows what the patient was really saying, but either way I believe the patient experienced some sort of emotional/verbal abuse. Working closely with this patient really help me develop more compassion for individuals that come into the hospital. This patient didn't have any family or friends come visit, and as a soon to be RN, I feel it is the duty of a nurse to provide emotional support for every individual/family they are helping.
The next week I took care of a woman who was 97 years old, blind and hard of hearing. When my nurse and were turning her from one side to the other, the patient started yelling, "please don't tie me down!" We were both surprised...I guess she has been in restraints before. Sadly, we don't know why she was in restraints (like was she pulling out IV's? Catheters?). We'll never know...sweet old lady. She did have some good one liners such as, "That's okay ladies. I don't need your help. I have plenty of helpers (when we were shifting pillows)" and "Can you take me shopping? Let's go!." She also loved to sing at the top of her lungs, which bothered other nurses but my nurse and I just smiled/laughed (not at the patient of course, but the fact that she LOVED to sing with the music playing in her room).
So far so good. I've moved up in the hospital world from taking care of 1 patient to now 5, so it's all overwhelming but I'm learning a ton. Thank goodness for awesome nurses and really the whole health care team in teaching us newbee's how it's done. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment