Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Becoming a REAL nurse

After completing my first few shifts of my last semester of nursing school, I'm seeing what being a nurse is really like. There is so much responsibility and knowledge required. Of course, I knew this going into school. I'll never forget the first class of Foundations in Nursing Theory. Our instructor discussed the responsibility nurses have, the high volume of medication errors and many scary things (like stories and such). We watched a video about several families who suffered injury/death from medication errors...I wish I had the link. It brought many of us to tears. Back to my main point...being a nurse is a lot of responsibility and requires knowledge beyond medications, diagnoses, and assessment. I'm very grateful that the majority of nurses I've worked with, and especially my preceptor, are examples of knowledgeable nurses who take responsibility for their actions.

As for how my first few shifts have gone? They have been busy. One of my patient's on the first night asked me, "Are you sure you want to go into this profession? It looks exhausting and very difficult." I honestly paused and had a moment where I thought to myself, do I want to do this? Am I capable? Will I ever feel comfortable in this environment? Then I realized I hadn't answered, and of course I said, oh yes! I'm sure I want to do this. Deep down, I know this is what I want to do, but I've doubted my ability to critically think, prioritize and gain the knowledge that is required to be a nurse (I just attribute this moment to the fact that I haven't been in a hospital setting 4-5 months and it'll take a few shifts to get back into the swing of things, right??).

I have to say I've hit the jackpot when it comes to my preceptor and my shift at the hospital. My preceptor is patient and explains everything (which is super helpful). The nice thing is she challenges me with little quizzes but doesn't make me feel incompetent when I don't know the answer, or answer the question incorrectly. I was supposed to just shadow the first day, and slowly take on more patients (meaning be responsible for their care, documentation, medications, call physicians if necessary, etc) but my preceptor has helped me dive right in and before I knew it, I took on 2 patients. The shift I work is the pm shift, so afternoon until midnight. The only downfall of this shift is the fact that I cannot fall asleep when I get home! Let's just say that 3am and I are becoming best friends. I'm usually starving when I get home and have my second wind, so I typically stay up until 2-3am then sleep until 9-10am. It's just taking some getting used to.

I can't wait to see what the next few shifts will bring! =)

4 comments:

  1. You are going to be an AMAZING nurse Anne, this I know! You are patient, kind, compassionate, extremely intelligent, detail oriented, responsible . . . all of the things that make a great nurse. Good luck with your 3am bedtime, it's only temporary right! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful for the ICU nurses during my intern year who literally kept me from killing off my patients at 2am. It's a humbling experience to see a nurse care for the abandoned whose bodies are ravaged and abused by their poor choices, whose soul seems nonexistent, whose loved ones are nowhere to be found. But the nurse is there keeping every crevice of their body clean, tracking every input, output, and sign of life and hope, giving each their best regardless of circumstance. The nurses I admire the most - the ones I met in the PICU and the burn unit, who remain calm and composed in the worst of circumstances, and maintain hope when everything seems to be moving in the wrong direction. Keep sharing Anne. I'm sure you'll have some great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are going to kill it!!!!!! no pun intended

    ReplyDelete