Thursday, February 2, 2012

2012 Here We Come!!

I've neglected this blog, and while I can give all the excuses in the world, it doesn't make up for the fun memories I've missed recording. Pictures below recap 2011.

So, I'm in an intense accelerated nursing program and well, it's one of the many reasons I haven't updated the blog regularly. Looking back on the past 4 semesters, I wish I would have blogged my experiences to have a better record of what I've done and reflect about what I've learned. Unfortunately, I can't take that time back but I'm hoping to blog after each clinical day for this, the last semester of nursing school.

In the last 5 months of school, we're expected to take on the full load of a nurse meaning work their hours and eventually take on 4 patients. I'm super excited, nervous and feeling inadequate all at the same time. And my hands are starting to sweat as I type, so that just tells you how anxious I'm feeling about the whole thing. I will start in less than a week, and I'm trying to prepare by cramming more information about medications, diseases, and interventions yet I'm sure I'll draw a blank when I'm on the floor.

Wish me luck and enjoy the many pictures of our adventures from 2011!



New Years in Carmel.  Stayed with friends at their beach house.  It was beautiful.





Posing with Clayton Cullimore. We met the Cullimores at our apt complex Fall after we got married when we returned to BYU for our last year of school.  We are so lucky they live close by in Walnut Creek.



Anne with her best friend from nursing school, Lisa.  So glad Anne has had someone like Lisa to help these past few years to get through nursing school.



Papa Bruce celebrating St. Patty's day in style!



Yosemite in April.  Our dear family friends the Hardings from Carlsbad invited us to stay at a cabin with them for the weekend. We had a blast. There was tons of snow, it dumped the week before and we spent hours digging out parking spots and digging a trail through 6 feet of snow to the cabin.


Love this shot of Creed, what a studly man!




Who's that beautiful nurse?!



Mattie and Miles Hart, some of our best little buds from the Palo Alto 1st ward.  We babysit them often and love spending time with their parents.  Last Easter their mom had their third child, so Anne and I babysat and took them to the egg hunt the next day.



Maggie Peery, one of four kids (soon to be five!) that Anne has babysat a couple times a week for a year or more.  Maggie adores Anne and Anne adores Maggie.



Our good friends Tyson and Heather Fujikawa had the hook-ups to a fun beach house in Monterey.  We met up for a weekend of fun with the Fujis, Olivers and Bellisarios.  The weather was amazing for May and we had a blast!  First time paddle boarding, awesome to be out skimming over the kelp beds, we saw a sea lion too.



These are my boys!  Anne and I were called as cub scout leaders three years ago.  We did it together for a year, and then things got busy with nursing school for Anne so she changed to a Sunday only gig.  This picture is from last years final pack meeting in May when the boys were Bears.  I have been lucky enough to move up with them each year, and this year they are Webelos already with their badge and working towards their Arrow of Light.  Love these boys!



Anne tries to visit best friend Casey as often as possible down in San Luis Obispo.  She is getting married to Wayne this September 8th! So happy for them! 



Yosemite part II.  Anne and I couldn't get enough so we planned another camping trip to this beautiful park.  We went over Memorial Day and had permits to hike Half Dome.  But with the weather so wet and snowy this past year, there was still snow everywhere, it rained, hailed and snowed on us and we couldn't do Half Dome.  Summer camping in the high Sierras!  We had a blast though, making memories with Dad, Reagan and Derek.


Overlooking Hetch Hetchy reservoir.


Beautiful view of Yosemite valley floor. Crazy switchbacks on that hike!



Pic of my awesome sister Reagan and my stud Dad.  He raised me on backpacking and because of him I love the outdoors.  Thanks Dad!  Here he is, still cranking away, the ultimate outdoorsman.  


Bros!



Epic shot of Half Dome.  Amazing huh!




Celebrating my bro-in-law Westin's birthday June 12th.  We love these two, and we are so lucky that they were able to move in to the apartment down the hall from us right after they were married almost two years ago.  Now they are expecting a baby girl in April and we can't wait for another niece!!




Having fun with my "nephew" Hank Oliver.  My cousin KC and Molly live nearby and dropped him off so they could attend a concert.  I went on a walk and showed him off, it's amazing how much attention this cute little guy got.  He is the best!




This is an amazing shot...pure joy.  We babysat Nate and Ruby Niccum for our very good friends Joe and Liz, and walked down to the Peninsula Creamery to treat the kiddos to some goodness.




Ruby loves me enough to let me get a few more minutes of shut-eye after she woke up crying at the crack of dawn.  After lifting her out of her crib, I was not ready to get up so we snuggled for a half an hour or so more.



Celebrating my 28th birthday (June 22nd) with my special day mug and plate while eating one of my favorite desserts, Angel Food cake with homemade whipped cream and strawberries.  Love it! Thanks Anne!




4th of July.  Anne got a pedicure and went festive!  I thought it was awesome.



We have a fountain/pond at our apartment complex, and when it gets hot during the summer we wade in to cool off...sometimes we swim too when the neighbors aren't watching.





Maggie, Lia and Ben Peery.  Anne's kiddos that she babysits.  Enjoying ice cream at Mama Hamilton's.  These kids are so cute and absolutely love Anne.


Sam Peery (oldest of the four kids) with Ben and buddy Sawyer.




Enjoying a free weeknight concert in San Jose over the summer.  We saw the Neon Trees!  Awesome.  Anne's friend Lisa having some fun in the background.




More adventures with the Peery kiddos.









Anne and her nursing classmates at the wedding banquet of Wendy, a fellow student.




Our niece Addison came out to visit!


Papa Bruce with our new niece Lauren, sooo cute!





I went out to Paris, Idaho at the end of July for a Dance Family Reunion.  Had a blast with my extended family.  One of the highlights of my year.  Man I love my cousins!  Anne had finals...again...so couldn't come.  Proud of your hard work Anne!


Some of the Orme Fam with Gpa & Gma Dance, our fearless leaders!




When coming out for the Dance reunion, I was able to spend sometime in SLC with family on the Orme side. Here are two of my cousin Shannon Howell's kids, Garrett and Easton.




While I was at the reunion, Jenna, Drew, Addison and Lauren came out to visit, so sad to miss them.  Here the girls out for a walk with Rach-baby and Mama Hamilton.







Addison absolutely LOVED her swing!!




More fun with the Peery kids.




Celebrated my sis-in-law Rachel's bday at a Giants game.  They won!  And we enjoyed some tasty garlic fries.  This stadium is amazing, with a beautiful view of the Bay.



Cute little Lia.



Anne also babysits the other Peery family kids every so often, once a week as of late.  I joined Anne, Brady and Sadie for swimming after work.  Ton of fun. We love all the Peerys!




My best bro Brad Packer told me Jimmy Eat World was coming to SF to play, dedicating their tour to only songs off their Bleed American album from 10 years ago....basically my soundtrack for freshman at BYU.  First time to see them live, and I about died when they played "Sweetness".  Fun to be with awesome friends like the Packers!



Brady Peery out on the town with Anne.



My grandparents (Dance) were staying at my parent's in Carlsbad for a month, so Anne and I were lucky enough to be able to join them for October general conference weekend.  Here we are enjoying fantastic homemade pizza outside.  We love our grandparents and cherish any time we can spend with them.





Anne with fellow nursing students after a safety presentation to Webelos cub scouts in a local community.



Later in October I was able to go to Utah to see one of bros get married at the Timpanogos Temple.  Mark Bellisario was able to fly out with me from San Fran, also there was great friend Kevin Lang. We had an amazing weekend, so happy for Todd.  Mark and I were able to take a trip down memory lane. Eating at J'dawgs, going to a BYU football game and even sleeping in our old apt complex at Condo Row (Derek now lives there).



Todd and I flashing our Roxbury moves, just like old times.  Some things never change....thankfully.  We had an awesome time dancing at the reception that night...hilarious.



Enjoying our annual autumn pilgrimage to Half Moon Bay to pick out pumpkins and enjoy the abundance of the harvest and all the sights.  It sure is a sight to see!  We were joined by Rachel.


Found some good ones...a lot of good ones..probably too many good ones....that are now still sitting around our apt looking a little out of place.



Posing next to my creation...I was so proud of my "classic look" Jack-o-lantern.  Just look at that thing!  Amazing right?



We were invited to a roaring twenties murder mystery dinner for Halloween night.  Anne one the award for best costume, her Grandma's mink coat thing was the big hit.


My pretty little witch dressing up for a nursing party with friend Lisa (a Q-tip).



Over Thanksgiving, Drew, Jenna, the girls and Drew's brother Preston all came out from Utah!  We had such a fun time all together.  Played Turkey football, played soccer, went ice skating, laughed, ate, ate and ate.



My close friend Matt Gertsch came out from North Carolina to interview at Stanford for their medical residency program.  I hadn't seen him in YEARS, but when we were reunited it was like he had never left.  We sure hope Matt and his family come out west to PA!


Couldn't help ourselves.



At a ceremony inducting Anne into a prestigious nursing honor society.  I was able to attend with her.  So proud! She has worked so diligently and deserves it.



After Anne's honor society induction, we sped out to Half Moon Bay to stay at our favorite B&B (the Mill Rose Inn) where we stayed for our honeymoon.  On Saturday one of our best pals, Sadie Peery, was baptized so we zipped out to the Menlo Park Stake Center to support.  She is so cute and the spirit was strong.  So glad we made the effort for our close friends.



Ahhh yes, the Mill Rose Inn, where the honeymoon never ends! We had an awesome weekend relaxing (got a couples massage - our first), exploring, eating and re-living the memories and making some new ones.


The rugged Northern California coast.



This year it was the Orme fam's turn for Christmas, so the ALL of us were able to get together at Mom and Dad's.  Even Graham and Rhandi drove out from Indiana (30+ hours in van) with their three kids!  Thanks guys for making the effort, I sure appreciated being able to see and hold my new, beautiful niece Quinn for the first time!  She was sooo much fun!  We love our Quinn.


Christmas Eve nativity with Hudson (shepherd) and Cayman (wise man).  Such a special time.  Christmas with the fam!



We were there for Quinn's baby blessing, such a great experience with the whole family.  We of course had beautiful December weather!  We spent more than a week all together and absolutely loved it!



Took family pics at Batiquitos Lagoon in La Costa.  Here is one of our favorite shots.  Thanks D!



Whew!! If you made it this far...well I think you'd agree 2011 was a great year!!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures!!! Good luck finishing up nursing Anne!! I'm sure that will be a huge relief to be done with! Looks like this year has been full of a ton of fun things. I didn't know you guys were such big hikers. Your Halloween costumes are awesome too. Love it!! Also, Matt did that superman pose (he called it something but I can't remember what he called it) on one of our couches the other day and I was like "What are you doing??" He said you guys taught him that :) Such an awesome skill! haha. Thanks for the blog update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww y'all are so cute! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo! Great year! You're going to be such a fabulous nurse and not to mention a gorgeous one! Miss and love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes great year; great pictures of the two of you, friends, siblings, nieces/nephews, extended family, harts, Niccums, Peerys, everyone! We loved being a part of your 2011...we were lucky to start off with you here for 2012; girls and I are looking forward to seeing you and Carson in just a few weeks! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, just sayin, I was here. Thanks for the update, and I'm glad to have another relative in health care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Way to wrap up the year with sweet pics and commentary. Love the "planking" shot, classic. Fun to feel like I experienced your 2011 with you for a few minutes. Christmas with the fam was wonderful, we sure miss you 2! xoxo

    ReplyDelete